Welcome to the Queens Collegiate family. We are so proud to have your child as part of the first graduating class at Queens Collegiate: A College Board School. As we work together to help prepare your child for higher education, there are some policies and procedures at QC that you should be aware of.
1. As per the Chancellor’s policy, electronics are not allowed into our building. This includes cell phones, iPods, radios, DVD players, gaming devices and other electronics. This policy does not include watches and calculators. Should your child bring one of the forbidden devices to school and it appears (either through scanning or it being visible to an adult), the device will be confiscated immediately. As per the Chancellor’s orders, it will be labeled with your child’s name, and placed in a Ziploc bag in a secured location. The only way that your child can retrieve the confiscated device is to have a parent present on one of the designated dates.
Designated dates for return of electronics:
i. Friday, September 26th, from 1:00pm-3:30pm
ii. Thursday, October 30th, from 1:00pm-3:30pm
iii. Wednesday, November 26th, from 1:00pm-2:30pm
iv. Friday, December 19th, from 1:00pm-2:30pm
2. At Queens Collegiate, we do things differently. We want to ensure that your child has a safe educational environment where they can thrive academically and socially, as they prepare for their future. To this end, we have instituted a dress code policy. Students are expected to arrive at school daily in dress code attire. Should they choose not to wear dress code clothing, they will be asked to rent a school shirt for $1.
Dress Code clothing is as follows:
i. Shirts: either polo shirt or button down shirt in Navy, Royal or White
ii. Pants: either khaki beige or navy
iii. Skirts for girls: either khaki beige or navy, and must reach within 1” of the knees
iv. Shoes: plain shoes in either black, navy, brown or white
v. Gym uniform: Navy shorts with a QC T-shirt ($8), socks and sneakers
vi. On Fridays, all students may wear blue jeans with their QC shirts
vii. Patches are on sale in the main office for $5. Each child should have the logo on their clothing daily.
3. During the first semester, your child will take the following courses: Math (either Integrated Algebra or Geometry); English; Global History I; French; Advisory; Physical Education; and Science (either Earth Science or Living Environment). Advisory is a course designed by our teachers to meet our students unique needs in preparing for high school, college and beyond. We will be teaching study skills, organization skills and team-building in the first month. This course receives credit and a grade just as the other courses do.
4. Our contact information has changed. Our new phone number is 718-658-4016. Our fax number is 718-658-5149. Our email remains QueensCollegiate@gmail.com and our blog remains at http://QueensCollegiate.wordpress.com
5. I look forward to meeting you at our upcoming parent orientations. We will be holding parent orientation on two dates. The information will be the same, we just wanted to accommodate your unique working schedule. Parents who attended orientations previously are welcome, but not required to attend. Please come visit with us on either Thursday, September 4 from 6:00-8:00pm or Saturday, September 13 from 12noon-2pm.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to email or call. Ms. Downes, my secretary, will schedule an appointment with me, or Mr. McMahon, our APP, if necessary.
Mrs. Jaime Dubei
I have received the introductory letter home, and understand the information contained in this letter. I realize that my child needs to wear dress code clothing daily, and that they cannot bring electronics to school. In the event that my child brings electronics to school, I realize that it will be confiscated and only returned on the designated date at the end of the month.
Student’s Name: ______________________________________________________________
Parent’s Name: _______________________________________________________________
Parent’s Signature: ____________________________________________________________